Vale of Alyn
Description During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, there were plans to revitalise the lead and zinc mines to the west of Mold. Part of the revitalisation was a railway into the Vale of Alyn. The railway would have run south from a junction with the London North Western Railway near Rhydymwyn to Llanarmon-yn-lat. The Vale of Morwynion extended the Vale of Alyn four miles via Pen-y-stryt to the Moel Y Faen slate quarry. As well as the mines the railway served agriculture and quarries; slate, limestone, sand and gravel. The range of activities in the Vale proved a boon as the last mine closed in 1919. As the mines provided most of the traffic at Gwernaffield and Pantymwyn 1921 saw their loops removal and their goods facilities reduced to a siding. In the winter of 1947, the need for coal economies caused the suspension of services on the nearly defunct freight only line from Pen-y-stryt to the Moel Y Faen. Services did not recommence and in 1948, the track was removed. In 1964 the ‘Beaching Axe’, cut the passenger and general freight services from the line. All the Vale of Alyn’s stations closed. The Vale of Morwynion and Llanferres ‘twig’ closed and their track was lifted. The line from Hope Junction to Llanarmon-yn-lat operated as a siding. In 1983, the quarry traffic finally ebbed away and the line closed.