00, LNER, 12 @ 3 foot

Ffrith Station

Ffrith Ground Frame

Factory at Ffrith

Panoramic of the layout

Ffrith Colliery

The Cegidog Valley Railway was opened in 1878 by the Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway from Sydallt Junction four and a quarter miles to Gwynfryn Quarry. Gwynfryn Quarry is just to the west of Bwlchgwyn a village of 1183 [1901 Census]. The Cegidog Valley Railway followed the wooded and steeply sided valleys of the Cegidog and then its tributary the Nant y Ffirt.
The Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway was subsequently absorbed by the Great Central Railway, grouped into the London North Eastern Railway, and finally nationalized into British Railways in 1948.
The branch was goods orientated, in British Rail days most traffic came from opencast coal mining in the Cegidog Valley and the Nant-y-ffrith, Bwlchgwyn North, and Bwlchgwyn South quarries in the Nant y Ffirth Valley augmented by general, agricultural [grazing], and forestry [conifer] traffic.
A passenger service was introduced in 1889 operating from Wrexham Central eight and a half miles to Bwlchgwyn and halts were established at [from Sydallt Junction] Cymau [pop. 350], Coed y Felin, Ffrith and Glascoed.
Industries served (post war):-

Open cast coal mining

In the Cegidog Valley

Started in 1944, peaked at 360,000 tons/yr in 1959,

and the 1986-95 averaged 61,800 tons/yr.

Nant-y-ffrith Quarry

Silica Sandstone 1878>1953 Plans for 1000 ton/week

output in 1941 High silica low alumina sandstone

used in Macadam and silica bricks for furnace lining.

Bwlchgwyn North Quarry

Bwlchgwyn South Quarry